It’s been awhile since I posted, I know, bad blogger. That cold I got really kicked my butt. I was out of training for about two weeks, and it was difficult to make myself understand that I couldn’t just pick up where I left off. This lead to some mental struggles with getting back into the hang of things. However I finally feel like I’m not only back on track, but possible even ahead of the game.
Here are a few highlights from weeks 16-19!
- Weeks 16 & 17 were a wash. I decided to take the high road an give myself the time to be sick. I stayed in bed, drank tea, and recouped. My cold was cleared up by about Day 13. I think that the massage I had in the middle of not trained went a long way in keeping me loose.
- We have a new Fleet Feet store in town, and when I was feeling better I stopped in to check it out. The folks were super nice, and invited me back to go for a run that very night! I explained that I’m mostly a walker and they said that I should go anyway. So I went out with their No Boundaries 5K group and had a fantastic time! Even though I’m at snail pace there is always a mentor willing to stick with me. The bonus – I’m keeping faster paces whenever when I go out with them! I can only make it to group once a week, but I am loving it.
- I started using the Lolo Jeff Galloway 5K App on my iPhone and I really like it. Not only does Jeff have a really pleasant voice to listen to in your ear, but the way it changes the speed of your favorite music to help you keep pace is pretty dynamite. Yesterday I did more intervals in a row than I have ever done at once before. I managed to run/walk/run for an entire mile and a half, and that was after I had already walked for two miles. I’m pretty thrilled with that progress.
- Oh!! Speaking of progress, my pace is dropping like mad! My goal pace for July was to be consistently under 19:00. 4 of my last 5 runs have been faster than that 19:00 pace, and one of them was even at 16:27 (an all time PR). CRAZY PROUD of that!
- Finally – I canceled my YMCA membership today. The once a month I’m going to the pool, and fancier treadmill is not worth the extra $25 I’m paying a month. So – I plan on getting a Planet Fitness Membership before the end of the month.