Being fairly new to heading to the gym and working out, it’s taken me a little bit of time to figure out what I actually need to bring along with me. I work out in the mornings, so I always get dressed to work out at home, but I like to feel prepared once I’m at the gym, so here’s a look at what I keep packed in my gym bag ready to grab and go.
- Nuun Hydration tabs to give my water a boost. 2 flavors because I like to have a choice.
- Gu Chews or Sport Beans for energy-dense calories during work outs longer than an hour. Adding these to my training routine has made a huge difference in how I feel during long runs.
- Yurbuds headphones to listen to my iPhone or plug into the treadmill. I want to get a pair of wireless, but this is what I have for now.
- Hair brush, hair ties, and a sweat absorbing non-slip headband are a must. While I have been using neoprene headbands, I just got the Sweaty Band pictured above and I’m excited to give it a try.
- Body Glide because chafing is not fun.
- Pad lock kept on the handles of my bag so I don’t lose it.
- Swimsuit just in case I get the urge to do a pool workout.
- Toiletry Bag with shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and deodorant so I can shower there.
- Beach Towel to dry off with because the ones at the gym are tiny.
- Micro-fiber cloth the clean my eyeglasses with.
- 1-2 bottles of Dasani bringing this from home saves me considerable money. The up-charge on a water bottle at the YMCA is obscene.
- P3 Dry Protein Pack within 15 minutes of finishing my workout helps my muscles recover and keeps me out of the McDonalds drive-thru on the way home.
You may notice that there are some important things missing – like my keys, wallet, and phone. Before I head out to the gym I grab the small bag from my purse that I keep those things in and drop it into my gym bag. That keeps me from having to take 2 bags along with me.
If I’m going to shower at the gym, I also toss some clean clothes in. There is nothing worse than showering at the gym and having to put on wet sweaty clothes again because you forgot to bring a change. Been there, done that, eewwww… now I remember a change of clothes.
What do you keep in your bag? Am I missing something you can’t live without? Leave a comment and let me know!